Audi Q5 2.0 TDI quattro S Line 177PS S Tronic
What is it?
IT’S Audi’s mid-sized SUV, and it sits between the Audi Q3 and the Audi Q7 models.
At that size and with prices starting at around the £30,000-mark it’s up against models like the Range Rover Evoque, BMW X3 and Volvo XC60. Compared with some of its rivals it does look a little bit old-hat, introduced in 2009 and then mildly updated in 2012.
Unlike other off-roaders this size the Q5 is only available with four-wheel drive but buyers do have the option of plenty of different engines ranging from a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol to a 3.0-litre V6 diesel.
- It may be an SUV but the Q5 is based on the same platform that’s underneath the A4 and A5. As a result it feels exactly how an Audi should feel; comfortable, refined and sure-footed in the bends.
- On standard suspension (try to avoid the no-cost S line suspension) the Q5 has a nicely cushioned ride, which feels just at home on the motorway as it does on rough city streets.
- The engine bay is well isolated from the cabin so even with the 2.0 TDI diesel of our test car under the bonnet, you never feel like it’s overly rough or noisy. There’s not too much wind noise or tyre roar either.
- The 2.0 TDI with 177hp never feels slow, with a 0-62mph time of nine seconds flat. The 3.0 TDI is much quicker, with 0-62mph in 6.5 seconds, and it sounds a lot smoother too.
- There are some great turbocharged petrol engines, too, but you can’t pair them with an auto unless you go for the top-spec 3.0-litre TFSI.
- The 2.0 TDI – no matter whether you go for 150hp or 177hp – is capable of 47.9mpg and boasts CO2 emissions of 159g/km. BMW’s X3 2.0d is better, with 147g/km.
- All Q5s come pretty generously equipped so you’ll notice that even the entry-level SE models are fitted with leather seats, air-con and electric windows all-round.
- It’s spacious, too; our Q5 was used as transport for four adults on a ski trip and it swallowed up all the bags in the 540-litre boot with plenty of space in the rear seats.
Do You Have A Vehicle Leasing Question?